Taking a Break with a Classic Negroni!

Negroni.
Dear readers, I'm off for a week, I need a break - see you on September 9!

In the meantime, have a summer drink, the one I like best: Negroni done the classic way, following the Florentine recipe invented in the Café Casoni in 1919  at the behest of a client, Count Camillo Negroni. It  simply involves adding gin to an Americano instead of the selz water. Then there's the more sophisticated Milan version which calls for an additional dash of angostura bitters.

Here's the basic recipe:
- one part gin
- one part red Vermouth (semi-sweet)
- one part bitter Campari

Serve in a tumbler with lots of ice, stir and decorate with a slice of orange (to distinguish it from the Americano traditionally done with lemon)

Enjoy, let me know how you like it! 





Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Anne R. Allen said…
I love Negronis, and I've made them the favorite drink of my character, the elegant Plantagenet Smith. But he makes his with Grey Goose. I've always had them with vodka myself, but I'll bet they're even better with gin. I love a gin martini. Maybe I'll put the controversy in the next Camilla book. Thanks for the recipe, Claude and have a great week off!
Thanks Anne, yes, it's a wonderful drink, slightly exotic and most certainly elegant, just right for Plantagenet Smith...Try it with gin, it's ten times better!